Wednesday, March 11, 2020

ALAN BRITT




UNFINISHED CONVERSATIONS WITH A CATBIRD


          The catbird shot by again like a musket ball across

my neighbor’s yard. (Ed was likely out on family stroll.)

I offered the bird a Rogue, my favorite beer. But he

declined. Not interested in that sort of thing. So, I proposed,

“A glass of Chardonnay for this July twilight?”

“Oh, no. I’m not intrigued by what you consider leisure.

I prefer elderberries & mulberries, especially ones with a touch

of ferment that makes the sky muy verde.”

Hmm, bilingual.

          He continued: “I had a chat with a blackbird yesterday.

Asked him about Ed’s blue spruce, so thick & concentrated,

almost like a hive, ‘cause I never see that blackbird in it. He

never hides in that tree, you know. ‘Waste of time,’ was all

he told me.”

          “So, he simply avoids that spruce,” I politely

surmised.

          “Look, I came back to give you a little hell for sitting

beneath my tree again!”

          Now, I must say that this unprovoked attack gives

me peculiar charge, since I legally own this magnificent maple

tree with its muscular arms supporting a luxurious umbrella

canopy above my lounge chair with white & thick blue-striped

nylon cushions designed to repel the rain; although, I don’t

expect this feisty catbird to honor the human legal system.

Still, I speak openly with him. No use making things difficult

(for me, that is).

          “All right, Cat, you’ve been coming ‘round for days.

While, indeed, I enjoy your company, frankly, I’ve spread

the news of our visits, with a fair amount of glee, I might

add. But we must come to an understanding. We’ll have

to share this tree. There’s no other way around it! Further-

more, I’ll continue to pipe into our happy valley Roy

Orbison, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bela Bartok,

& the Beatles whenever the mood strikes me. So, I hope

there won’t be any complaints coming from you. I’ve

had an earful of your temper, &, see, it didn’t do any

good. I’m still here. Plus, the robins & cardinals are huge

fans.”

With a tail flick, the catbird responds: “Okay,

I’ll see what I can do.”



     -END- (Part I)



          Upon returning from Ed’s backyard jungle of oaks,

Japanese maples, & black walnuts, the catbird inquires, “So,

what do you think of your friend, Paul?”

          “Well, he vacillates a little. But that’s no big deal,” I

offer.

          “A bit like Clinton?”

          “Enough of that!”

          “See you in a couple of blocks. I want to disturb that

jerk on Chatsworth Avenue. Yeah, I also gave Ed a good scolding

this morning. Even brought Ida along for support. We gave it to

‘em pretty good.”

          “Is that all you do,” I admonished?

          “What?”

          “Fly around giving people grief?”

          “I’ve got news for you! While you’re working all day,

managing & selling stuff nobody wants or needs, feeding your

ulcer with a new batch of unrealized hopes & dreams, I work

pretty damn hard. I’m busy all day, sun up to sundown, & I’ve

never met a single damn client for lunch!”

          “All right, all right. I left you some blueberries yesterday.”



     -END- (Part II)



          “I like the split-rail fence a lot. That wide top rail offers

me great footing.”

          “I’ve noticed. You spend a lot of time on our fence.

Particularly after eating. Don’t you think you could shift your

butt a little?”

          “You know, I never think about shitting. I’m too busy

wondering what to do next. As you’re no doubt aware, I live my

my life moment to moment. Zen-like, you might say. Every single

second I’m fully conscious. That way I can cram a hundred of

your years into two of mine. You might say that I make my sun run!

Remember that one?”

          “You’re a real splinter, you know that. When did you

become the metaphysical Einstein of Northway Road?”

          “Life is time, & time passes like an annoying swarm

of gnats.”



                                 -END- (Part III)


             "Tons of lightning bugs out tonight. Notice how

they skim along barely a foot above the clover. Your big

bushy dog is patrolling the side fence again, barking at

walkers in their insufferable white shorts. What’s with that,

anyway? What possesses humans to choose the ridiculous

clothes they wear?”

          “I don’t know. Variety. Boredom. Indecision. Any

number of factors, I suppose. I hear your family crying up

a storm. No sunlight left. The streetlights just came on.

They’re calling you back to the nest.”

          “I’ll go see what’s happening. But say something

about those shorts, will ya?”

          “Sure. I’ll look into it.”



                                 -END- (Part IV)



 

  (ISBN #978-0-9647754-4-2

CypressBooks

1245 Lago Court
 Rio Rico, AZ 85648


Violin Smoke (Hegedűfüst) by Alan Britt 
(Trans. into Hungarian by Paul Sohar,
Iradalmi Jelen Könyvek publishers,
(ISBN #978-973-7658-51-7), paperback,
86 pages, www.irodalmijelen.hu, (Online
Zoltán Böszörményi, Publisher, September 2015 
[1081 Budapest, Kossuth út 59. 3/5, 310085
Arad, M. Eminescu 55-57] (Telephone:
+40 257-280-751 & Fax: +40 257-280-596)


Alan Britt has appeared at Bradlaugh's Finger before. The two poems by Alan that we published were highly praised for their technique and evocation of scene. We see more of the same here. 






































1 comment: