Thursday, February 6, 2020

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR



Kirk Douglas has gone. At one of the Festivals at Temple Newsam, Leeds... a vast crowd sitting in the natural grassy amphitheatre waiting for... probably Prodigy, or it might have been Oasis - and a lone voice shouts out from one side of the hill 'I am Spartacus', answered by another closer to the stage-front 'I am Spartacus', then one from the back of the crowd 'I am Spartacus', until it gathers momentum and more voices join in. This is part of our cultural heritage.. -------------------------------Andrew Darlington

3 comments:

  1. I am Spartacus. Three words that could bring down a government. And Kirk Douglas was a brave and principled man in his time, by all accounts, standing up against the persecution of Dalton Trumbo during the McCarthy anti-Communist trials when other artists, like Elia Kazan, sold out their colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need to stand and shout "I am Spartacus!"

    ReplyDelete