Saturday, December 7, 2019

BRYN FORTEY





YOU AND ME, HETTIE

Amiri Baraka wrote a poem
back when he was LeRoi Jones
still married to his first wife
it was called FOR HETTIE
a good poem with points to be made
at more than one level
it was about her being left-handed
observations laced with a smile
reading it blind
I would have found both love and respect
interwoven within the humour
but this was before they split
before their marriage went belly-up

I don’t have much in common
with Hettie Jones
apart from poetry
and even that is at different
ends of the spectrum
I have no bohemian dress sense
and do occasionally take orders
but I am left-handed

it might’ve been weird to you: Amiri. LeRoi
or whatever other name you used
but maybe not as weird as fathering a child
with another woman
while still married to your left-handed wife
and just you try changing gear in a car
having to leave just your poor right hand
alone on the steering wheel
no wonder I gave up

you and me Hettie
even the big O himself: Roy Orbison
was Lefty Wilbury at the end
say it loud: lefties and proud
you and me Hettie


******copyright Bryn Fortey


Bryn Fortey is the author of two volumes of short stories and poetry, 'Merry-Go-Round' and 'Compromising the Truth', both on Alchemy Press. He has published his poetry in print and online for decades. His small press magazines 'Target' and 'Outlaw' featured many of the best poets of the last fifty years. 



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad. It's a little-known part of Beat history that deserves more attention/investigation.

    ReplyDelete