Sunday, January 19, 2020

JONATHAN JONES

Bob Dylan accepts the Nobel Prize
I liked that he spoke about what he read at school. The time he saw Buddy Holly, and the way he made it  sound like he was alone when he wrote it. Like he never had friends, only people he cared about. I liked the way he offered no reminders, and that he didn’t  mention Facebook. I liked  the sense of humor in his voice, and the thought he might be stoned as he read it.
I’ll never be a poet obviously.
I like a street of leaves the best

a line that weaves and saves nine lives
the trouble, where the river glides.
Broad daylight is no judge of taste.
My heart a stitch, best served by lies. 

The moon’s fat mouth some time 
ago made this its Godless claim on me,  
to teach me words first “go” then 
“go”, till no momentum pried 

me free, inelegant and worldly-wise.
We fear to be the stuff of dreams,
that buys us for a modest sum.
I like a street of leaves the best,

a camel train in summer’s heat.
The river glides, a line that weaves
between fast gulps of strangers’ feet,
eyes straining in the foreign light.



Sister Christ


This is me, hot, tired
and half out of my head
on a stretch of summer
afternoon, unaware 

of this old woman of maybe
twenty one or fifty six
with the strong
sweet wine

the colour of apricot
in my used coke bottle.
Shuffle – shuffle,
I murmur to my 

dead eyed dancing feet 
and I cannot
tell if it is the sweetness
or simply the wine 

that tastes like water
having no sense of being
followed, ignored
or sketched out

against the hairspray smell 
of pharmacy.
Voices muttering
in on cell-phones

scratching my beard 
with yellow fingernails.
The only way I could 
tell it was still me 

slurring constant sorrow;
merrily making no
sense, a smeared mascara
my mother’s

way of telling me
I had such pretty eyes
once when there was
only one of me.


*********************copyright Jonathan Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment